2 Beds • 2 Baths • 1,288 SF • 10,124 SF Lot • HOLLYWOOD SIGN VIEWS • RENOVATED MID-CENTURY • $1,399,000 SOLD
A MID-CENTURY RESIDENCE IS MODERNIZED IN LAUREL CANYON
If these canyon walls could talk…Laurel Canyon has been a unique part of the Los Angeles landscape since the earliest part of the 20th century (1905-1912) when a scant few hunting lodges dotted the hills. Most were reachable only on horseback. Once people started to traverse the canyon in larger numbers and were wowed by its natural beauty, the first wave of home development began (1922-1928). After that initial push of mostly Spanish-influenced structures, more roads were planned and paved and a stream of people built their dream cottages, “treehouses,” family homes, “funky” cabins, and a number of homes that were examples of the mid-century modern architectural movement, of which 2234 Ridgemont Drive is one.
Another type of development was afoot the mid-to-late 1960’s: The hills were alive with the sound of music—rock, to be exact—when a who’s who of pop music’s legends or soon-to-be legends lived, worked, and played (instruments) in the Canyon. Many books (including the one pictured here on our website) chronicle the canyon’s highest of highs. Meanwhile, houses like 2234 Ridgemont stood by as a witness to a unique time in L.A.’s history.
But that’s all in the past…
This 2BR/2BA mid-century has been modernized for the way we live today. Fundamental elements of “the period” remain intact; vaulted ceilings, beams, an open floor plan, and a desire to bring the outdoors inside through glass windows and doors. The heart of this home beats in a combination of public spaces: dining flows to kitchen, kitchen flows to living, living flows to dining and to a great big outdoor deck. A quartz-mantled wood-burning fireplace (with gas starter) in the living area adds ambience to the home year-round. The home’s consistent soft-grey palate, including its dove-grey hardwood floors, infuses a contemporary design sensibility in the rooms.
The home’s five-star kitchen also has quartz finishes, gleaming chrome fixtures, and high-end stainless-steel appliances.
The residence’s 1950’s inspired single-level layout means both bedrooms are on the same floor as the public spaces, which was typical during the period. The home’s master bedroom has a Juliet balcony and a door that leads to a private grassy yard. A large guest room has access to a full bathroom.
Outside are two private areas for entertaining. A large deck hangs into an awesome canyon view. A back area (off of the master bedroom) is perfect for pups, kids, or an above-ground hot tub.
BONUS ALERT: This home is located with the highly-desired WONDERLAND School District. No need to go private here!
A large-scale garage accommodates two cars as well as mountain bikes, surf boards, and long-term storage items. The cul-de-sac location means plenty of parking for party guests. As the saying goes: Once you go Laurel Canyon, you never go back!
- Great Laurel Canyon location
- Highly sought-after Wonderland School District
- Ample natural light and canyon views including Hollywood Sign
- Open floor plan is great for entertaining
- Single level layout - a big plus in the Hollywood Hills
- Gas and wood-burning fireplace in the living room
- Gorgeous high quality wood floors throughout
- Stunning quartz countertops in the kitchen with matching quartz fireplace mantle
- New LED recessed lighting throughout
- New stainless-steel appliances and plenty of cabinet storage
- New copper plumbing
- Entirely new HVAC system with programmable Nest thermostat
- Living room and bedrooms are pre-wired for TV’s and music
- Trex deck for outdoor living and dining
- Carrera marble tile and counters in bathrooms
- Over-sized shower with bench in master bath + dual sink vanity
- Juliet balcony in the master creates great ambiance and airflow
- Over-scaled “finished” 2-car garage plus storage
- Hook-ups for side-by-side washer & dryer
- Beautiful new landscaping
- New fencing for privacy and security
- Cul-de-Sac street and plenty of street parking for guests (unlike many streets in Laurel Canyon)
- Close to all the area has to offer